020 160x160

Covid 19

Dear Customer
You will all be aware that Covid 19 is a 1918 Spanish Flu like epidemic. It can be fatal to all age groups if caught. It is transmitted by coughing or sneezing and is particularly dangerous to those over 60 and those people with underlying health conditions.
We are constantly listening carefully to the latest Government advice regarding this viral outbreak. This states that it is particularly important, that anyone showing symptoms of fever or a constant dry cough, no matter how mild, should self-isolate (including family – if any) for 7 days and refrain from social or official contact. This includes not attending any courses booked with us or any other external activity involving proximity to other people. Additionally, and in any case, close social contact, which many of our course require, is advised against.
Our duty at Western Maritime Training Ltd is to ensure that you (or your employees) and our staff attend training events that are as safe as possible within the latest official guideline’s enforcements to date.
Accordingly, and in order that we all remain as safe as possible, we are mothballing our services until Government advice changes. Covid 19 is such a generic threat to the population that running face to face training is not an acceptable risk. Colleges and Universities are taking similar action.
With immediate effect our payment portals are now closed, and no further bookings will be taken. Customers already booked to courses will be offered alternative dates as soon as the situation becomes clearer. We will still be able to offer career and qualifications advice over the telephone. Please be aware that this may be limited access to this facility at times. You will be able to leave telephone messages if we are unable to talk to you immediately.
We regret having to take this action, we have operated under the same ownership and management for 24 years continuously, providing first class and value-for-money training and education. However, the safety of you and us and all our loved ones is paramount.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Workboats come in many different shapes and sizes. The most common requirement for operating a sea-going workboat is the MCA Master Code Vessels Under 200GT CoC, you can find the full details for obtaining a Master 200 qualification here. A sea-going vessel is defined as one which leaves categorised (sheltered) waters. There is a full list of all the UK’s categorised waters in MSN 1837.

Sometimes a higher level of qualification is required to operate a workboat. For example the skippers of windfarm support vessels in Germany are often required to hold a Master 500, or even a Master 3000. Full details of the requirements for a Master 500 CoC can be found here, and Master 3000 here.

Boatmaster’s Licence (BML)

If you are operating a vessel that does not go to sea, or that only makes short coastal passages, the requirement is for you to hold a BML. The BML is valid for vessels operating no more than 5 miles from land which are never more than 15 miles from their point of arrival or departure. The BML can be used on any vessel which does not exceed these limits, including vessels carrying up to 250 passengers. The full list of the types of vessel for which a BML is suitable is listed here.

There are four levels of BML available and are shown in the table below.
Generic BML Type/Level  Level 1  Level 2 
Tier 1 National licence for non-tidal waters. Categories A,B & non-linked C National licence for sheltered waters, Categories A-D, and limited coastal waters.
Tier 2 Restricted Licence valid for specific areas in waters of any category Restricted licence valid for all Category A canals and specified areas of Category A,B or C
The BML also requires specialist endorsements for which you need experience in the relevant field.

The endorsements are:- Passenger, Towing, Oil, Chemical, Gas, Ro-Ro and Fast Craft. In addition, to operate in certain areas, for example the Thames or the Severn Estuary, you need a Local Knowledge Endorsement to demonstrate that you understand the hazards and regulations associated with your area of operation.

Full details of the requirements for obtaining a BML can be found in MSN 1853, we can provide assistance in identifying your specific requirements.

If you wish to apply for a first BML you must;Workboats

Meet the minimum age requirements
Have completed the required sea time
Present a completed Work Record Book (MSF 4366)
Hold the relevant Ancillary Safety Training certificates
       Personal Survival
       Fire Safety
       First Aid
Present a completed Training Record Book (MSF 4367)
Hold a valid medical certificate, ML5.
An ENG1 is also suitable but needs renewing more often. (Details of Medical certificates can be found here)
Pass a boat handling test.
Complete assessments in the relevant Maritime Studies Qualifications OR
Pass an MCA Oral Examination. Tier 1, Level 1 syllabus here, Tier 1, Level 2 syllabus here.

You can apply for a BML using form MSF 4364.

Workboats - Course List

Payments from all major cards secured by PaymentSense