General Ship Knowledge (OOW Yachts)
The General Ship Knowledge course (GSK) provides detailed knowledge of on board systems in addition to those covered in the Navigation and Radar course. Subjects include ship construction, stability, meteorology and seamanship.
GSK is an MCA approved module and a requirement for any OOW (Yachts) candidates. To book onto a course click on a date, at the bottom left of the page click on 'BOOK NOW'.
The full syllabus is available to view here.
Pre- Course Requirements
RYA/IYT Yachtmaster Offshore certificate of competency
RYA/IYT Yachtmaster Shorebased certificate.
STCW Basic Training Certificates.
Candidates who already hold the Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) qualification will find it to their advantage.
The course includes , but is not limited to:
- Ship Construction
- Methods and Terminology
- Loading and stressing of vessels
- Causes and prevention of oxidation and corrosion
- Load lines, bilge systems and damage control.
- Basic stability and buoyancy.
- Centre of gravity and metacentric height
- Righting levers and moments
- Global weather patterns
- Use of meteorological instruments
- Sources of weather information
- SOLAS, MARPOL and COSWOP regulations
- Pilot boarding
General Ship Knowledge is a classroom based course using presentations, demonstrations, videos and practical sessions to deliver the course content.
Assessment and Certification
There is a 2½ hour written assessment to be taken on completion of the course. The pass mark is 60%.
Successful candidates will be awarded a pass certificate for the MCA General Ship Knowledge module, which is valid for 3 years towards your OOW qualification.