STCW – Proficiency in Security Awareness
Introduced in 2014, the updated STCW code states that all seafarers operating on vessels that adhere to the ISPS code must receive approved security awareness training.
The course will provide those on board ship, who do not have designated security duties, the essential training set out in the STCW code.
The course covers the importance of ship security and the role of those involved in its provision, and the requirements and measures to maintain ship security and recognise and report a security threat.
Pre- Course Requirements
Candidates must be over 16.
- Operational requirements of the ISPS Code
- Ship security arrangements
- Methods of personnel search, ship search and crowd management
- Techniques used to circumvent security
- Identification of restricted areas on board ship, including methods to prevent unauthorised access
- Communication Security
- Response to a security incident
The course consists of lectures, films and demonstrations.
Assessment and Certification
On completion of the course you will receive the Proficiency in Security Awareness STCW’95 A-VI/1-6 certificate.